Being an environmentally conscious company is continuous: we learn, we do better, we affect change.
And as a manufacturing company, we are acutely aware of the potential impact on our natural environment and the responsibility—and pride—in minimizing that impact. Our awareness stems partly from the privilege of working and living in a part of our country abundant in natural resources, but also from great respect of those resources.
We strive to reduce and, eventually, eliminate the environmental impact of our manufacturing process.
From selecting our vendors and partners to our materials to reducing energy consumption, the steps we take to ensure the sustainability of resources are deep-seated in every step of how we create and build furniture.
GAVCO’s office furniture is made from 100% Recyclable melamine particleboard. We partner with like-minded, earth-friendly vendors and suppliers, and have adhered to one of the most stringent regulations to limit formaldehyde emissions from composite wood products before it was nationally required (California Composite Wood Products Regulation (CWP).
Eliminated use of Methylene Chloride-based adhesives and replaced them with water-based, environment-friendly adhesives throughout our operations.
Instead of using cartons, GAVCO furniture is blanket-wrapped. Our products are pre-assembled to eliminate the need for bulk-cartoning and excess dunage.
Our progress towards lean manufacturing has reduced finished goods inventory by 90% and raw materials by 50%. Reduced lead times along with flexible work schedules have resulted in reductions of energy consumption.
Local recyclers remove all inbound carton packaging material.
The Basics and More
GAVCO offices recycle paper, cans, and bottles. Used computer equipment is disposed appropriately for metals and plastic (ABS) recycling, and empty photocopier and printer cartridges are returned to suppliers for refilling. As a manufacturer, we do more:
- Thermofused Laminate (melamine) is produced from 100% recycled lumber waste
- All melamine particle board used in the manufacturing of our office furniture by meets current HUD, OSHA, and CARB (California Air Resources Board) certifications and requirements
- Melamine particle board off-fall is compacted, returned, and recycled
- High Pressure laminates used in the process of manufacturing furniture are green certified by our vendors, Formica, Wilsonart, Pionite, and Nevamar
- We use water-based adhesives to eliminate health hazards or toxicity
- Waste packaging materials (carton and corrugated boxes) are compacted and returned for recycling
- Our complete manufacturing process is free of chlorofluorocarbon (CFC) and Volatile organic compounds (VOCs)
For more than three decades, we have worked, built, expanded, and promoted local employment in our community. We strive for a sustainable future with our customers, dealers, vendors, and neighbors and, through them, work with organizations helping individuals and families in need.
To learn more about charitable partnerships with GAVCO, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.